Social customer service could develop in a number of ways this year:
- More brands creating specific customer service communities, to resolve disputes away from their main social channels.
- Greater use of apps to address specific issues for customers.
- Greater integration of technologies (such as P2P) to support customer service and ‘self-serve’ customer communities.
- Simpler segmentation on Facebook and Twitter (learning from Google Plus).
- Advances in monitoring and geo-targeting to allow brands to respond quickly and locally to resolve customer issues.
I agree that customer service online will continue to expand greatly. Marketers often believe that consumers want to engage, but we talked earlier this month about how they really just want value. Offering great customer service will become a big part of social and will be a differentiator.